March 11, 2011
June 3, 2011
September 9, 2011 ›
December 2, 2011
PAST MEETING INFO
MAIN MEETING PAGE
September 9, 2011
A meeting of the Workers’ Compensation Commissioners was held on Friday, September 9, 2011 at 9:30 a.m. at the Office of the Chairman, 21 Oak Street, 4th Floor, Hartford, CT.
- Dr. Craig Foster - Commissioner Examiner (handout)
- § 31-293(a) - Potential Procedural/Administrative Alterations
- First Hearing Timeliness
- Commissioners’ Meeting Schedule (2012)
- Procedures Regarding Imposition of Fines
- Chairman’s Update
A regular meeting of the Workers’ Compensation Commissioners was held on Friday, September 9, 2011 at the office of the Chairman of the Workers’ Compensation Commission, Capitol Place, 21 Oak Street, Hartford, Connecticut. The meeting convened at 9:30 a.m. with all Commissioners present except Commissioner Engel. Also present were Marvin Smernoff, Nancy Bonuomo, Vincent Flynn, Madeleine Lemieux, and Connie Rue of the Workers’ Compensation Commission, as well as Gardner Wright, Michael Dimenstein, and Linda Passanisi of the Workers’ Compensation Advisory Board.
- Commissioner Examiner
- Chairman Mastropietro distributed a letter from Omni Medical announcing that Dr. Craig Foster has joined their Wallingford office.
- First Hearing Timeliness
- Chairman Mastropietro shared statistics and commended the District Office Administrators and Commissioners on maintaining the maximum goal of 28 days for scheduling the first hearing.
- Commissioners Meeting Schedule
- The Commissioners voted to hold four meetings in 2012.
- Guidelines for Cooperation
- Commissioner Senich raised some issues arising from reimbursement schedules for doctors. Chairman Mastropietro acknowledged that there needs to be discussion about physicians fees in relation to increased medical costs across the industry, problems doctors are experiencing with non-workers’ compensation reimbursements, and problems developing from practitioners choosing to solely treat claimants and not participating in respondent and commissioner exams, among other issues. Discussion ensued about the Commission developing an approved medical panel system. These topics and others will be brought before a soon-to-be formed committee for further action in addition to the Workers’ Compensation Advisory Board, Legal Advisory Panel and Medical Advisory Panel.
- Procedures Regarding Imposition of Fines [Flamenco v Independent Refuse. 130 Conn. App. 280 (2011)]
- Chairman Mastropietro discussed the Appellate Court’s decision in Flamenco. Discussion ensued. The Commissioners agreed to revise the fine letter addressing penalties imposed pursuant to § 31-288(b)(2). A revised fine letter will be distributed for Commissioner input and approval. The Chairman will discuss tracking issues with the MIS staff.
- Review of Regulations and Statutes
- Chairman Mastropietro plans to form a committee of members of the workers’ compensation community to determine which regulations and statutes are obsolete. Commissioners are welcome to participate.
- CMS Update
- Chairman Mastropietro distributed correspondence from Attorney Angelo Sevarino stating that CMS selected Provider Resources, Inc. of Erie, PA as their new contractor to review workers’ compensation MSAs.
- Review of Long Term Operating Procedures
- Chairman explained his concept of establishing a committee to discuss possible procedural changes to continue streamlining the workers’ compensation process, such as timeliness for approval of treatment, and other issues occurring among insurance companies and physicians. This will include a review of internal procedures including docket management, managed care silent PPOs, reimbursements to ambulatory clinics, hospitals, pharmacy products distributed by doctors, and other issues yet to be identified. He emphasized that he will not be discussing benefit changes. He will invite the participation of members of the legal community. All Commissioners are encouraged to participate.
- C.G.S. § 31-293(a)
- Chairman Mastropietro distributed copies of Public Act No. 11-205 An Act Concerning the Resolution of Liens in Workers’ Compensation Cases. Discussion was held.
- Chairman’s Update
- Chairman advised the group of upcoming meetings: WC Advisory Board on September 12, 2011; Medical Advisory Panel on October 4, 2011; and Legal Advisory Panel on October 19, 2011.
There being no further business, Commissioner Salerno made a motion to adjourn to Executive Session. Commissioner Goldberg seconded the motion, which passed unanimously. The meeting was adjourned to Executive Session at 11:20 a.m.