February 10, 2014
March 10, 2014
April 7, 2014
May 12, 2014
June 9, 2014 ›
September 8, 2014
October 6, 2014
December 8, 2014
PAST MEETING INFO
MAIN MEETING PAGE
June 9, 2014
A meeting of the Workers’ Compensation Advisory Board was held on Monday, June 9, 2014 at 10:00 a.m. at the Office of the Chairman, 21 Oak Street, 4th Floor, Hartford, CT.
- Opening Remarks
- Chairman Mastropietro’s Update
- Approval of Minutes (April 7 and May 12, 2014)
- New Business
A regular meeting of the Workers’ Compensation Commission Advisory Board was held on June 9, 2014 in the CRB Hearing Room at the Chairman’s Office, 21 Oak Street, Hartford, CT. The meeting convened at 10:15 a.m. with the following Board Members present: Chairman Gardner Wright, John Adamson, Rocco Calo, Theodore Duarte, Ross Hollander, and Gregory Nokes. Also attending were Marvin Smernoff, Michael Petosa, and Connie Rue of the Workers’ Compensation Commission.
- Opening Remarks
- Chairman Gardner Wright welcomed the group.
- Chairman’s Update
- Chairman Mastropietro discussed new laws affecting the Connecticut workers’ compensation system:
- Public Act 14-167 (Senate Bill 61) - An Act Concerning Workers’ Compensation Liability for Hospital Services and Ambulatory Services was passed by the Senate and House and will be effective upon the Governor’s signature. The Chairman is developing the membership of the committee to meet the statutory mandate of establishing and publishing reimbursement formulas for hospitals and ambulatory surgical centers no later than January 1, 2015. The Public Act requires the reimbursement formulas to be based on Medicare reimbursement rates.
- Public Act 14-168 (Senate Bill 35) - An Act Concerning Notice of Acquisitions, Joint Ventures and Affiliations of Group Medical Practices was passed by the Senate and House. Some sections are effective upon the Governor’s signature; others will be effective on October 1, 2014. The Chairman stated that he is concerned about the potential difficulties resulting from physician groups being purchased by the hospitals and how that change will affect physician employers’ networks approved by the Commission. The Chairman also expressed concern about how an injured worker of the hospital/physician group will obtain independent medical treatment from a physician who is not a co-employee. Discussion was held.
- Public Act 14-12 (Senate Bill 36) - An Act Concerning the Governor’s Recommendations to Improve Access to Health Care was signed by Governor Malloy on June 8, 2014 and will be effective on October 1, 2014. One section of the bill will permit APRNs to treat independently of physicians. Currently APRNs are allowed to treat injured workers under a physician’s supervision and are reimbursed at 75% at the doctor’s rate. The legislative change may require the Commission to review present rules governing APRNs.
- Narcotics Task Force - Chairman Mastropietro discussed the Commission’s concern with the explosion of the use of, and addiction to, narcotic pharmaceuticals. The Medical Protocols on “Opioid Management of the Injured Patient” issued on July 1, 2012 already limit the frequency of dispensing narcotic pharmaceuticals, but the Chairman is establishing a group of doctors to discuss narcotic overuse and abuse in the treatment of workers’ compensation claimants.
- Psychological Screening Task Force - In an effort to find ways to assist surgeons in providing an injured worker the best possible recovery, the Chairman is seeking input from the Advisory Board Members on creating a committee of psychiatrists and psychologists to discuss the possibility of developing a screening process to identify issues that prevent injured workers from experiencing the best possible healing process. Discussion was held.
- Chairman Mastropietro was proud to announce that Governor Malloy appointed and the legislature approved the nomination of Commissioner Thomas J. Mullins for a five year term. Commissioner Mullins joined the Commission on May 29, 2014.
- Judicial College
- Chairman Wright raised the possibility of sending new Commissioners to the Judicial College held annually by the National Association of Workers’ Compensation Judiciary. Discussion was held on the finances and current training program provided by the Chairman. The topic was tabled.
- A motion to adjourn the meeting was made by John Adamson and seconded by Gregory Nokes. The motion was unanimously approved. The meeting adjourned at 11:15 a.m.
- Next Meeting
- The next meeting will be held on September 8, 2014.