February 10, 2014
March 10, 2014
April 7, 2014
May 12, 2014 ›
June 9, 2014
September 8, 2014
October 6, 2014
December 8, 2014
PAST MEETING INFO
MAIN MEETING PAGE
May 12, 2014
A meeting of the Workers’ Compensation Advisory Board was held on Monday, May 12, 2014 at 10:00 a.m. at the Office of the Chairman, 21 Oak Street, 4th Floor, Hartford, CT.
- Opening Remarks
- Chairman Mastropietro’s Update
- Final 2014 Legislation
- Final 2014 Budget
- New WCC Commissioner
- Approval of Minutes (April 7, 2014)
- New Business
A regular meeting of the Workers’ Compensation Commission Advisory Board was held on May 12, 2014 in the CRB Hearing Room at the Chairman’s Office, 21 Oak Street, Hartford, CT. The meeting convened at 10:10 a.m. with the following Board Members present: Chairman Gardner Wright, John Adamson, Rocco Calo, Theodore Duarte, Gregory Nokes and Donald Shubert. Also attending were Michael Petosa and Connie Rue of the Workers’ Compensation Commission; with guests Jim O’Brien of FairPay Solutions and Diane Ritucci of the Workers’ Compensation Trust.
- Opening Remarks
- Chairman Gardner Wright welcomed the group.
- Chairman’s Update
- Chairman Mastropietro discussed legislation awaiting signature by Governor Malloy:
- Senate Bill 61 - “An Act Concerning Workers’ Compensation Liability for Hospital Services and Ambulatory Services” was passed by the Senate and House and will be effective upon the Governor’s signature. The bill obligates the Chairman to meet with stakeholders, and to establish and publish reimbursement formulas for hospitals and ambulatory surgical centers no later than January 1, 2015. The legislation requires the formulas to be based on Medicare reimbursement rates. The Chairman commented that the bill will require a technical requirement next legislative session to modify the annual update publication to April 1st to incorporate Medicare’s data release.
- Senate Bill 35 - “An Act Concerning Notice of Acquisitions, Joint Ventures and Affiliations of Group Medical Practices” was passed by the Senate and House. Some sections are effective upon the Governor’s signature; others will be effective on October 1, 2014. Several concerns were discussed: how the hospitals’ acquisition of physician groups will impact workers’ compensation claims in existence prior to the transfer of ownership; potential increase in costs where physicians may be forced to add a facility fee; and how an injured worker of the hospital/physician group relationship will obtain independent medical treatment.
- Final Budget - the Commission’s budget remains intact for Fiscal Year 2015 including the relocation of the Middletown District Office and enhancements to the information technology systems.
- New Commissioner Appointment - Chairman Mastropietro advised that the Governor’s nomination of Thomas J. Mullins of Farmington, CT was finalized by the General Assembly on May 2, 2014. Commissioner Mullins will be sworn in by Governor Malloy on May 27, 2014.
- A motion to adjourn was made by John Adamson and seconded by Gregory Nokes. The motion was unanimously approved. The meeting adjourned at 11:15 a.m.
- Next Meeting
- The next meeting will be held on June 9, 2014.