February 4, 2013
March 11, 2013 ›
April 8, 2013
May 6, 2013
June 10, 2013
September 9, 2013
October 7, 2013
November 18, 2013
PAST MEETING INFO
MAIN MEETING PAGE
March 11, 2013
A meeting of the Workers’ Compensation Advisory Board was held on Monday, March 11, 2013 at 10:00 a.m. at the Office of the Chairman, 21 Oak Street, 4th Floor, Hartford, CT.
- Opening Remarks
- Introduction of Labor Committee Co-chair Sen. Cathy Osten
- Chairman Mastropietro’s Update
- Pending Legislation
- Commissioner Renominations
- Approval of Minutes
- New Business
A regular meeting of the Workers’ Compensation Commission Advisory Board was held on March 11, 2013 in the CRB Hearing Room at the Chairman’s Office, 21 Oak Street, Hartford, CT. The meeting convened at 10:10 a.m. with the following Board Members present: Chairman Gardner Wright, John Adamson, Rocco Calo, Michael Dimenstein, Ted Duarte, and Gregory Nokes. Also attending were Marvin Smernoff of the WCC, Senator Cathy Osten, Co-chair of the Legislative Labor and Public Employees Committee, and public member William Clark.
- Opening Remarks
- Chairman Gardner Wright welcomed the group and introduced Senator Cathy Osten, Co-chair of the Labor and Public Employees Committee.
- Senator Cathy Osten and Chairman’s Update
- Senator Osten discussed the legislation proposed by the Labor Committee:
- Senate Bill 823 - An Act Concerning Severe Mental or Emotional Impairment and Workers’ Compensation Coverage.
- Senate Bill 905 - An Act Concerning Portal-to-Portal Workers’ Compensation.
- Senate Bill 907 - An Act Concerning Additional Requirements for an Employer’s Notice to Dispute Certain Care Deemed Reasonable for an Employee Under the Workers’ Compensation Act.
- Senate Bill 1074 - An Act Concerning Workers’ Compensation and Liability for Hospital Services.
- Discussion followed. Chairman Mastropietro commented that Senate Bill 907 will have the greatest impact on the agency. The most difficult part of the bill is that it requires a respondent’s exam to be completed in 15 days. If the bill goes through in its present form, the agency may be forced to create a panel of doctors for the sole purpose of performing respondent’s exams.
- Chairman Mastropietro also discussed Senate Bill 1074 and explained the complications with pending appellate-level litigation. The specific issue is that the definition of “actual costs” which exists under C.G.S. Sec. 31-294d(d) continues to remain undefined in the new bill. Chairman Mastropietro repeated that the agency needs clarity and the bill does not yet provide it.
- Chairman Mastropietro reinforced that the agency will perform to the best of its ability to comply with any legislative changes.
- Advisory Board Reappointments
- Chairman Wright remarked that the Governor’s reappointments on Theodore Duarte, Daniel Krause and Rocco Calo are proceeding through the legislative process.
- A motion to adjourn was made by John Adamson and seconded by Rocco Calo. The motion was unanimously approved. The meeting adjourned at 11:25 a.m.
- Next Meeting
- The next meeting is April 8, 2013.