February 7, 2011
March 7, 2011
April 4, 2011
May 2, 2011
June 13, 2011 ›
September 12, 2011
October 17, 2011
November 7, 2011
PAST MEETING INFO
MAIN MEETING PAGE
June 13, 2011
A meeting of the Workers’ Compensation Advisory Board was held on Monday, June 13, 2011 at 10:00 a.m. at the Office of the Chairman, 21 Oak Street, 4th Floor, Hartford, CT.
- Opening Remarks
- Welcome New Members
- Chairman Mastropietro’s Update
- Approval of Minutes
- New Business
A regular meeting of the Workers' Compensation Commission Advisory Board was held on June 13, 2011, in the CRB Hearing Room at the Chairman's Office, 21 Oak Street, Hartford, CT.
The meeting convened at 10:00 a.m. with the following Board Members present: Chairman Gardner Wright, John Adamson, Rocco Calo, Michael Dimenstein, Theodore Duarte, Daniel Krause, Gregory Nokes, and Linda Passanisi. Members of the Commission: WCC Chairman John Mastropietro and Marvin Smernoff.
Chairman Gardner Wright welcomed Governor Malloy's new appointees to the Advisory Board: Michael Dimenstein of Yale New Haven Health, Theodore Duarte of New England Regional Council of Carpenters, John Adamson of Boilermakers Local 614, and Daniel Krause of the International Union of Operating Engineers.
Chairman Mastropietro’s Update:
- Workers' Comp 101
- WCC Chairman Mastropietro offered to present a Workers' Compensation 101 to the new members. The Board agreed that such a presentation would be welcome at the September 12th meeting.
- Historical View of WCC
- Chairman Wright and WCC Chairman Mastropietro provided a historical view of the origination of the WCC Advisory Board, the 1991 and 1993 reforms to the Act, and the effects on business and injured workers. Chairman Mastropietro emphasized that the Commission is just one entity under the umbrella of workers' compensation in the state of Connecticut. For instance, the Commission does not regulate pharmaceutical and hospital costs. The Commission's primary function is to adjudicate hearings to insure that appropriate medical treatment and wage replacement benefits are being provided to the injured worker in a timely and cost efficient manner. He further explained that 90% of workers' compensation claims are resolved at the employer-employee level and do not require hearings, thus are never presented before the Commission. The remaining 10% percent resulted in approximately 64,000 claims and 70,000 hearings during the past year.
- Potential Budget Cuts
- WCC Chairman Mastropietro discussed the potential changes in the structure of the Workers' Compensation Commission in the event the ratification of the SEBAC agreement fails and Governor Malloy is forced to impose cuts per Plan B. Plan B includes the elimination of four District Offices, six Commissioners and 45 employees. The immediate result of these cuts will be increased hearing wait times from the current average of 24 days. Further problems will arise in the Commission's mandate to monitor managed care plans, provide education services, and oversee safety and health committees across the state.
- Payor and Medical Provider Guidelines
- WCC Chairman Mastropietro recapped the status of the Payor and Medical Provider Guidelines which were developed and released by the Commission on July 1, 2010. Two seminars have been held with staff from physician's offices and a third is scheduled on June 29, 2011 for insurers and third party administrators at the Legislative Office Building. The guidelines and seminars are the direct result of the Commission's efforts to improve communication between all parties involved in a workers' compensation claim to expedite the delivery of medical treatment to injured workers. Effective immediately, all new applications for managed care will be required to adopt the Payor and Medical Provider Guidelines.
- Electronic Submission of FRIs
- WCC Chairman Mastropietro explained how the Commission's requirement of employers to file First Reports of Injury electronically has resulted in a 99% success rate. This enables the agency to mail 30C claim packets to injured workers within five days as required by law. He emphasized that FRIs do not have to be filed if there is no lost time.
- Commissioner Reappointments
- Chairman Wright recapped the Advisory Board members' statutory authority. He addressed in detail their mandate to interview and recommend reappointments to the Governor of Commissioners whose terms expire at five-year intervals.
A motion to approve the minutes of the following meetings was made by Rocco Calo and seconded by Linda Passanisi: September 13, October 4, November 8, 2010; February 7, March 1, and April 4, 2011. The motion was unanimously accepted.
A motion to adjourn was made by Greg Nokes and seconded by Linda Passanisi to approve the minutes. The motion to adjourn was unanimously accepted.
The next meeting will be held on September 12, 2011.