February 7, 2011 ›
March 7, 2011
April 4, 2011
May 2, 2011
June 13, 2011
September 12, 2011
October 17, 2011
November 7, 2011
PAST MEETING INFO
MAIN MEETING PAGE
February 7, 2011
A meeting of the Workers’ Compensation Advisory Board was held on Monday, February 7, 2011 at 10:00 a.m. at the Office of the Chairman, 21 Oak Street, 4th Floor, Hartford, CT.
- Opening Remarks
- Chairman Mastropietro’s Update
- Approval of Minutes
- New Business
A regular meeting of the Workers’ Compensation Commission Advisory Board was held on February 7, 2011, in the Workers’ Compensation Commission’s CRB Hearing Room, 21 Oak Street, Hartford, Connecticut.
The meeting convened at 10:10 a.m. with the following Board Members present: Chairman Gardner Wright; Members Rocco Calo, Lisa Casey, Greg Nokes, Linda Passanisi, and Donald Shubert. Also present were Chairman John Mastropietro and Marvin Smernoff, CAO of WCC; and Kia Murrell of CBIA.
Chairman Mastropietro’s Update:
- Gallagher Bassett:
- Chairman Mastropietro gave an overview of Gallagher Bassett’s recent acquisition of GAB Robins, the third party administrator for state employee workers’ compensation claims.
- State of the WCC in 2011:
- Chairman Mastropietro discussed the condition of the agency in terms of appropriation and staff levels. He compared 2010 levels to those in 1993, the year in which major reforms created a centralized operation of the Workers’ Compensation Commission. Funding and personnel have dramatically decreased while hearings and claims increased. New programs have been added by the legislature without any additional funding. Discussion was held about the increases in hearings and medical costs/pharmaceuticals. Chairman Mastropietro commented that the agency is more concerned about the number of “hearings” vs. number of “claims” because one claim can generate a large number of hearings.
- Discussion ensued about the assessment process and statutory timing of one assessment per year. The workers’ compensation assessment rate which is based on payouts is statutorily capped at 4%.
- Legislative Update:
- Chairman Mastropietro discussed the proposals currently pending before the Legislature.
Chairman Wright suggested that the Co-chairs of the Labor committee (Rep. Zeke Zalaski and Sen. Edith Prague) be invited to the next Advisory Board meeting; the members agreed.
There being no further business, on a motion made by Rocco Calo, seconded by Lisa Casey, the Board voted unanimously to adjourn at 11:20 a.m.
The next meeting will be held on March 7, 2011.