Sec. 31-283a-4. Rehabilitation allowance payments.
(a) Eligibility. The Chairman or his designee may provide to each person for whom a vocational rehabilitation plan has been approved, timely allowances for basic living expenses of the employee while engaged in a full-time vocational training program under the rehabilitation program’s sponsorship, provided:
(1) The employee is not receiving or eligible to receive any benefits provided by Chapter 568 of the general statutes, is not receiving or eligible to receive other benefits such as, but not limited to, unemployment compensation or social security disability benefits.
(2) The employee is engaged in a training program described by a vocational rehabilitation plan requiring the trainee to be present at the place of instruction at least 25 scheduled hours, or at a college level program consisting of a course load of no less than 12 credit hours required and earned per semester, or no less than six credit hours required and earned during the summer.
(3) The trainee is adhering to the specific terms of the plan and trainee manual and is providing timely and accurate information as to training progress, performance, and attendance, as required by the Chairman or his designee.
(b) Schedule of payments. The Workers’ Compensation Commission may pay vocational rehabilitation allowances to eligible trainees in accordance with the following:
(1) The allowance paid each trainee shall be a percentage of the benefits which the trainee would receive for the same period if eligible for compensation provided in Section 31-307, 31-307a, 31-308(a), or 31-308a of the general statutes; which percentage shall be established at least annually by the Chairman or his designee. An additional allowance includes travel expenses from the employee’s home to the training facility and return.
(2) Each trainee’s starting date and payment amount shall be approved by a Workers’ Compensation Commissioner and submitted to the Chairman or his designee on an authorization for rehabilitation allowance.
(3) Payments will be made at two-week intervals, upon completion and submission to the Chairman or his designee of a claim for payment of rehabilitation allowance, at the end of each period.
(c) Termination of payments. The Workers’ Compensation Commission shall cease to pay vocational rehabilitation allowances to any person whose training under the plan has been concluded. If payments are terminated for reasons other than scheduled expiration of the trainee’s vocational rehabilitation plan, written notice of termination and the reason therefor shall be provided to the employee by the Chairman or his designee.
(Effective October 18, 1995)