Sec. 20-312b. Licensed real estate broker or real estate salesperson not deemed “employee” under section 31-275. A licensed real estate broker or real estate salesperson shall not be considered an employee under the provisions of section 31-275 if substantially all of the remuneration for the services performed by such broker or salesperson, whether paid in cash or otherwise, is directly related to sales or other output rather than to the number of hours worked, and such services are performed by the broker or salesperson pursuant to a written contract that contains the following provisions:
(1) The broker or salesperson, for purposes of workers’ compensation, is engaged as an independent contractor associated with the person for whom services are performed;
(2) The broker or salesperson shall be paid a commission based on his gross sales, if any, without deduction for taxes, which commission shall be directly related to sales or other output;
(3) The broker or salesperson shall not receive any remuneration related to the number of hours worked and shall not be treated as an employee with respect to such services for purposes of workers’ compensation;
(4) The broker or salesperson shall be permitted to work any hours he chooses;
(5) The broker or salesperson shall be permitted to work out of his own home or the office of the person for whom services are performed;
(6) The broker or salesperson shall be free to engage in outside employment;
(7) The person for whom the services are performed may provide office facilities and supplies for the use of the broker or salesperson, but the broker or salesperson shall otherwise pay his own expenses, including, but not limited to, automobile, travel and entertainment expenses; and
(8) The contract may be terminated by either party at any time upon notice given to the other.
(P.A. 91-364; P.A. 93-354, S. 7, 54; P.A. 94-36, S. 41, 42; P.A. 96-200, S. 8.)
History: P.A. 93-354 deleted references to real estate appraisers throughout section (see Sec. 20-507), effective in accordance with Sec. 20-528; P.A. 94-36 changed effective date of P.A. 93-354 but without affecting this section; P.A. 96-200 substituted “salesperson” for “salesman”.
Cited. 231 C. 690, 699.